Mold. dangerous or not?

Image attribution

We hear a lot about how mold is dangerous, black mold can cause medical  issues etc.

Lets take a look at a few facts and dig a little deeper into those statements.

Mold and Mildew are fungi, there are over 100,000 species identified so far.

Not all are bad, Yeast - used to make bread and wine, Penicillin - Medical use and of course - Mushrooms as food.


Most common fungi are ubiquitous in our environment and we are exposed to them every day without issue. This is because we are exposed at low levels. The problems start to occur with the few that can cause medical effects in higher concentrations.

Mold spreads through spores which are released into the atmosphere. It grows with the help of 3 requirements - Food, Appropriate temperature and Moisture. A future post will cover this in more detail.


The two most commonly known "dangerous"molds are Stachybotry's (Black Mold) and Aspergillus but there are many more, approximately 200.

The thing that all these molds have in common is they all produce Mycotoxins.


A Mycotoxin is a toxic secondary metabolite produced by fungi and is capable of causing disease and death in both humans and other animals. (Wikipedia) 


From visual inspection alone, it cannot be determined what species of mold is present. There are over 400 variations of Mycotoxin known.

Mold spores can be spread easily by touch or interference. This is why it should only be examined and remediated by trained and licensed professionals. 


It is estimated that 70% of homes and business in North America are affected by mold. If you think you may be one of these, contact Best Option Restoration of North Houston for advice and licensed help.


Best Option Restoration of North Houston. Call - 832 699 4267





Be the first to leave a review


Mold. dangerous or not? phone